In March 1578, John Loder, the first yeoman owner of Upper Manor, with four others as trustees, bequeathed seven acres of arable land (Grove land in the West Field of Harwell) for charitable purposes.
At the enclosure of the parish, completed in 1805, this land was taken over, and another parcel of land, some fourteen acres called Bagg’s Tree Field was awarded in lieu.
The land still called Bagg’s Tree Field and, let as one plot, consists in fact of two adjacent plots; one is the John Loder plot; the other belongs to the Christopher Elderfield charity, and is sometimes described as the land near Bagg’s Tree.
- David (Webmaster) –
12 Jan 2009
This charity is now part of THE FRANCES GEERING ALMSHOUSE CHARITY – Charity Number 204399 -. See the Charity Commission’s web site for more information. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/