In 1675, a certain R. Pope was the surviving trustee of some five acres of land in the common field of Harwell, which had been purchased with moneys to be employed and bestowed to the best use of the poor people (the origin of those moneys is not stated). The indenture concerning these matters had been lost, and in 1686 the commissioners for charitable uses decreed that the land should continue to be used for such purposes, and that R. Pope should convey the trusteeship to nine others. The land was then known as Pope’s Orchard, but later as Poor’s Orchard.
In 1744 money from the Wells charity was used as part of the purchase money for Trender’s Orchard. Subsequent references are to a joint Poor’s Orchard and Wells Charity.
By 1911, the property of the Poor’s Orchard is defined as the orchard called Trundells, near Burr Street (in 1985 Harwell Nursery). In 1930, it was sold, and the proceeds invested.
- David (Webmaster) –
12 Jan 2009
This charity is now part of THE FRANCES GEERING ALMSHOUSE CHARITY – Charity Number 204399 -. See the Charity Commission’s web site for more information. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/