It is recorded in the court roll of the manor of Bishop’s, Harwell, on the 27th March 1744 that the money left by William Wells for the use of the poor of the parish should be paid to a Mr Fuller as part of the purchase money for Trenders Orchard, near Burr Street. In accordance with the bequest an annual sum of l0s. from the rent thereof was paid to the Minister and churchwardens to buy bread for twenty ancient persons. By 1837, the distribution of bread had ceased, the Wells charity having long been amalgamated with the Poor’s Orchard charity.
- David (Webmaster) –
12 Jan 2009
This charity is now part of THE FRANCES GEERING ALMSHOUSE CHARITY – Charity Number 204399 -. See the Charity Commission’s web site for more information. http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/